Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

All-Star Race- My picks

NASCAR is home these next two weekends- and to kick off the week is the All-Star Race.

This year, the format is new as- usual. There are five segments, and if a driver is capable of winning all five segments, he wins an additional million dollars on top of the million that's already allotted for the All-Star.

Who do I think will win the race? I've debated this alone for almost 12 hours now- and I'd really like to make an educated guess. Never have I ever been so indecisive about who I'd like to pick. It's a 50/50 chance, he's either going to win or not. So what's the big deal?

It was easy to pick Martin Truex Jr. to win the Showdown; and to pick Aric Almirola to finish second- which secures his spot in the All-Star Race. Truex starts on the pole, and Almirola starts in 12th. Actually, I'd also pick one of them to win the fan vote- but I believe Truex and Almirola stand a strong chance in winning first, and second. So, who would be my third pick to win the fan vote? I chose Ricky Stenhouse Jr., and he starts the Showdown in fourth.
Side-note: Truex Jr. already won a fan vote in 2005. If Almirola wins his way in - it'll be his first ever All-Star, as it would be for Stenhouse Jr.


Here's a look of the drivers that crossed my mind when I debated with myself as to who I might pick to be the 2013 All-Star!

Carl Edwards starts on the pole. He's won the 2011 All-Star Race. This weekend, he has his favorite drivers name- Dick Trickle- on the door to honor his life in NASCAR- how awesome would it be to see that car in victory lane? But let's be realistic, Edwards can lead all five segments but will he? I'm having a hard time believing he will.

Denny Hamlin starts in seventh tonight. He finished in second at Darlington last week- and he was coming back from a five week rest for injury. Hamlin is strong in Charlotte, and has an ability to lead the most laps of any driver at any given race.

Brad Keselowski is the 2012 Sprint Cup Champion, so it's fitting to see him win the All-Star Race, correct?

Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the first rookie to have ever won the All-Star Race - he did that in 2000. Since then, he's been able to score 10 top 10 finishes in 13 starts. Another notable  Earnhardt Jr.'s dad won the All-Star Race 20 years ago this month. It would be a blessing, and a wonderful tribute to the late Dale Earnhardt.

Jimmie Johnson is the defending All-Star winner, and if he wins tonight, it'll be his fourth and will be the first to break the tie for three wins alongside Jeff Gordon, and Dale Earnhardt. Johnson starts the race in 18th tomorrow, and we all know by now that it really doesn't matter where he starts, he can pass 17 cars easily in a short time, and win all five segments.

Kasey Kahne is the first driver to have been voted in by fans- and go on to beat the entire field for the All-Star trophy. Charlotte Motor Speedway is also Kahne's best track- in my opinion, he's the easiest pick. I kind of feel stupid for not picking him to win tonight. After all he's been through these last two races, a trip to victory lane would be a relief for Kahne.

So- who do I pick?

No comments: