Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wednesday Workout: Fall Goals

I did not give up on my fitness goals, however I have changed a lot this past year.
So much has happened, and so much has changed. The days go by fast and there's never a dull moment.

My goals for the fall are different then you'd expect. I think it's safer to stay on the down-low until January.
I will stay in touch and keep you posted, for writing is my passion as well. Here is a list of goals that I need to hold myself accountable for.

To study daily for my NASM CPT certificate
I finally took the plunge and decided to schedule my test. Getting my Personal Training Certificate is something I've wanted for a long time. This certificate is long over-due!
I do not wish to document my journey. I believe study time is quiet time, and I want to stay focused on the material. Most of the information is not new. It's easy information to learn, so much is repetitive and I  understand it. But, it's important information. There's a lot involved and come test day, I know I'll feel over-whelmed!
I have to include CPR, First Aide training as part of becoming certified personal trainer.

Rest and Relax Pre- and post surgery
If you read my last post: Beyond the Gym, you know that I was diagnosed with a very rare complex cyst. It's called a Dermoid. My cousin and I call it Debbie Downer Dermoid. She is located in my ovary and she is very large. It's predicted to be the size of a baseball, and that's before she's removed. I'm nervous to discuss the details of the surgery, but the doctors will remove one of my Fallopian tubes and ovary. I've yet to accept that will happen to me in a few short weeks.
I've had nightmares since I heard the news. There isn't a day that goes by without the image of a baseball, hanging out in my lower abdomen. The best way to cope is to focus on my other goals- study and exercise.

 Yoga 
I have yet to find my place in yoga world NH, but I do practice at home. There is a studio that I liked going to last winter, but it's an expensive studio and I'm on a tight budget. I'm still looking for a stable place to practice and I'm sure I'll find one soon. I know practicing yoga and meditation is helping me cope with my pending surgery- and I believe it'll be a wise way to recover post surgery.

Weight Lifting
Obviously, I still love to lift weights. I put myself on a strict light lifting routine with dumbbells until after I recover from surgery.

Run
No lofty long distance running goals until 2015. I found a trail in town that I enjoy running. It is a mile long, in the woods. It's not my favorite, but it sure is nice to have a place to go to for a short run after work.
The distance to the beach isn't very far from my new apartment, and I'd like to make an effort to have at least one beach trip per month to run on the sand- even  on the cold winter days.
Come to think of it, beach running is probably the loftiest goal I'll set for myself this fall.

 Swim
I found a part-time swim teacher job. I work with the kids and I enjoy it for now. I do get to swim laps in the pool in between classes and consider it to be a leisure exercise. I move all of my limbs, and increase my heart rate with each lap. I know swimming will be a great way to recover after surgery. No big goals set- except I may try to get my Life Gaurd certificate this winter, but let me pass my NASM test first!

Employment
This one is a bit personal, but since you all know I am about to test for my CPT, finding clientele is going to be a top priority this winter. I have a lot of ideas of how to attract clients, and I am putting it all together.
Building a website is first on that list, next to getting business cards.
It's all about taking it one step at a time, and having patience with how it all unfolds.
I have not secured a specialty in training or a specific audience yet- but I am considering Youth exercise, and women's fitness.

Writing
Part of my goal as a fitness trainer is to write about healthy living and exercise. I don't just want to stand in a gym while counting sets and reps for clients, I want to educate my clients. There are many stories to be written, and I plan to write them all!

Sports Writing
Some of you know that I have sports journalism experience under my belt. A lot of people like to toss this into the dream job files- but I refuse to let it be just a dream. I've found a way to incorporate working a day job while spending my nights and weekends writing. I can't imagine life any other way. It's all about time management and balance. Know how much time to spend in the gym for myself- time devoted to clients and time to write.
In the end, it's all about sports and there is a way to keep it all going. There is a way to live the dream. So off I go to do it!

Wednesday Workout Goal of day:
Yoga stretching and foam rolling
Weights and short distance run

Nutrition Goal of the Day:
Green Veggies











No comments: